As the name suggests, lithium starters or cranking batteries are the ones that are used to start the engine. They have a very high energy density and can be charged at a fast rate. These batteries do not suffer from any memory effect and do not need to be fully discharged before recharging. A lithium starter battery also lasts longer than other types of lead-acid or nickel-cadmium batteries.
There are several advantages of using these starter batteries over other types of rechargeable batteries such as lead-acid or nickel-cadmium batteries:
- Less weight. Li-ion starter batteries are lighter than lead-acid, nickel-cadmium, and nickel-metal hydride batteries. This is because lithium is a very lightweight metal that does not require as much material to create the battery casing.
- A smaller footprint. Because of their lower weight and smaller size, these li-ion cranking batteries can fit in places where other types of batteries would not be able to go. Making them ideal for devices where space is limited, or there isn’t enough room for heavier units like those made from lead acid or nickel metal hydride materials.
They Have A High Energy Density.
Energy density measures how much energy the battrey can store in a given volume or mass. The higher the energy density, the more power you can get from a battery.
The lithium-ion batteries used in many EVs have an energy density of 100-120 Wh/kg, while lead acid batteries have 20-25 Wh/kg and nickel metal hydride 50-60 Wh/kg.
Less Volume Of Lithium Starter Batteries
With these batteries, you can start your vehicle even when it is completely drained of energy. These batteries contain lithium metal oxide, an effective conductor of electricity. This metal oxide is used in place of lead dioxide (the material used in lead-acid starter batteries). Lithium metal oxide has more excellent electrical conductivity than any other chemical compound. In addition to being a better conductor, this material also has higher density and lower weight than lead-acid starter batteries, making lithium starter batteries more efficient in storage space and overall weight. Additionally, they are less corrosive than traditional lead acid starters, making them last longer while still performing their job efficiently.
Very Cold Resistant
One of the most significant advantages of lithium-ion starter batteries is that they are very cold resistant. You can use them in very cold conditions and they are also compatible with charging at low temperatures. These starter batteries can be discharged at -18°F (-28°C) without any problem.
This makes them ideal for use in areas where extreme weather conditions are common, as well as locations where there might be a risk that the battery will freeze over time.
The Lithium Cranking Battery Has An Extensive Temperature Range.
- The range is from -30 degrees Celsius to 60 degrees Celsius.
- This feature allows the lithium cranking battery to withstand harsh conditions, such as high and low temperatures.
- It also has a long life and can be used for many years without any problems or issues.
They Have A Relatively High Power Density.
Another reason why lithium-ion batteries are more popular than lead-acid batteries because they have a relatively high power density. Power density is the ratio of power to mass. Lithium-ion batteries can store more energy per unit mass, which means they’re much lighter than lead-acid batteries.
This makes it easier for you to carry your battery around wherever you go—if your car breaks down in the middle of nowhere, it’s inconvenient and frustrating if your battery weighs 100 pounds!
Lithium Cranking Batteries Are Environmentally Friendly.
They are safer than other types of batteries, and their long life cycle means you will not have to replace them as often as you would if you were using a different battery style. Lithium cranking batteries also use less energy, which makes them more environmentally friendly than other types of batteries. Furthermore, they are more sustainable because you can recharge them repeatedly without losing their charge or reducing performance levels over time. Finally, these batteries are cost-effective compared with others on the market today because they require less maintenance while performing at optimal levels throughout their lifespan!
Produce Less Heat
Lithium-ion batteries produce less heat, so you don’t have to worry about overheating. This is a significant advantage over lead acid and other cranking batteries requiring a cooling system to keep the battery cool in hot climates.
This lessens the risk of fire or explosions, making lithium-based cranking batteries safer for use in harsh environments. The lower amount of heat produced by lithium also means you can use them in more places without worrying about overheating.
They Outperform Traditional Lead-Acid Batteries In Almost Every Way.
Here is why lithium-ion cranking batteries are the better choice:
- They produce more power than lead-acid batteries. Lithium batteries can deliver twice as much energy in the same amount of time, so you’ll get your engine started faster and spend less time waiting for it to turn over.
- They last longer than traditional lead-acid batteries. You’ll get more life out of a lithium-ion cranking battery than you would from any lead-acid model, making it an ideal choice for cars that have to endure lots of starting cycles like fleet vehicles.
- They’re safer and environmentally friendly! Unlike traditional lead-acid models, which contain heavy metals that can be toxic if they leak into our soil or water supply, lithium batteries only contain nonhazardous components like graphite and cobalt oxide. These do not cause harm when disposed of at landfills or recycling facilities later down the line.
Lithium-ion batteries have the potential to revolutionize the way we think about and use energy. They are a much more efficient and environmentally friendly way to store power, but they also have some drawbacks that must be considered. While it’s clear that lithium is here to stay, it will be interesting to see how these new technologies evolve.
Do not hesitate to contact Deep Cycle Systems for more details on the starter batteries!